Feb 19, 2012

What type of handbag is this?


I usually don't care if I call a purse by its correct name, they are all purses after all. But trying to be in the fashion circles lately, I feel obligated to learn the difference between a tote and a satchel, a hobo bag and a messenger, so on and so on. So here is how you can look bag-smart:

TOTE 

A "tote" is a shopping bag getting its name from the verb for "carry/haul". A tote can be a cloth bag used to do grocery shopping at Walmart or it can be a bag made by Burberry or Chanel. It is usually (and nothing is common in fashion) characterized by its large size and opening and square/rectangular shape.

Source: Atlantic-Pacific

HOBO 

The name source for this bag is interesting as well. It comes from its similarity to the piece of cloth hanging from a stick carried by hobos back in a day. As these shoulder bags are made of soft materials, they lack structure and tend to slouch.

Source: Net-A-Porter

SATCHEL 

Satchel bag - it comes from the french word for a small bag but I have seen satchels of all sizes. It usually has a wide flat bottom and two handles. Its variations include the Doctor's bag and the Bowling bag.











SLING BAG

The Sling Bag has a long strap allowing it to rest on the lower back. It includes variations such as the saddle bag, the messenger bag, and the bucket bag.




Source : Mulberry


Alexander Wang Diego Bucket Bag


Source: Tory Burch
 

 
CUTE LITTLE BAGS

Minaudiere is a small evening bag adorned in pieces of jewels, beads or metals.

Lanvin Minaudiere Satin Shell Clutch


Holly Fulton ‘Africa’ Clutch Bag



Michael Kors


Source: ASOS



Baguette - relatively long small purse

FENDI




Marc Jacobs

8 comments:

Mica said...

this is a really helpful guide to those new to purses!

I love some of the pretty bags you used to illustrate your point too - lovely bag candy!


awayfromtheblue.blogspot.com.au

Blog Descontraidas said...

I love the tote bag.Kisses and have a great week.

http://www.descontraidas.com/

Iliana said...

Thank you for your good wishes Teo, I am much better, I loved this post did not know anything about the categorization of the bags, I think the ones I like are the satchel, but I would love to have more envelopes

Andrea said...

awesome post dear! really great! i love the bag on the first pic :)

Unknown said...

I need to buy a tote bag! I have a giveaway
on my blog so feel free to join it:)

http://stylewithoutlimits.blogspot.com/2012/02/first-giveaway.html

Natasha - Style Du Jour said...

I like this post, i would say i like the hobo style ones!

Unknown said...

Genial tu blog! espero que te pases por el mio y me cuentes que te parece.

mamaartista.blogspot.com

L+

LA7 said...

Hi :) Thanks for stopping by my blog and sorry for the belated visit.

I really like this post as I also get confused and often it's just a great bag or not a great bag! I've recently become a sucker for the crossbody bag and because they're so comfy, that term I remember!

http://living-sunny.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...